First published in 1959, Risk has proven to be an enduring classic.
In the game of Risk, two to six players face the challenge of being the last-man-standing.
There is never any doubt concerning who wins a Risk game; the game ends when there is only one player remaining, every piece on the board is the same color.The board is a stylized map of the world divided into 42 territories. Players receive armies in order to attack adjacent territories and add them to their empire. When the last territory of an empire is lost, that player leaves the game. Cards are won and sets formed to gain additional playing units. This is the earliest example of area control and set collecting, (so often found in today's Euros) in a board game. Conflict is resolved by die rolls.
Numerous variants and house rules have been developed. The major portion of these involve alternate set-up or alternate objectives. In later editions of Risk, Parker Brothers included some of the more popular variants in what is known as "mission Risk".
1. Know what rules you're using. There are various editions and versions of Risk, so be sure that you're not playing one game while everyone else is playing another.
2. Australia is a good continent to control at the beginning of the game, since it's easy to hold (it only has one point of attack from outside the continent) and get the continent bonus. South America, with only two points of attack, is almost as good.
3. When you control a continent, position your armies to protect the points of attack much more so than the less vulnerable interior countries.
4. Don't bother conquering an entire continent unless you think you can hold it for at least a full turn, because controlling a continent makes you an attractive target for other players to attack.
5. Try not to let other players control continents, but don't weaken yourself too much in the process.
6. Whenever possible, attack with a large group or armies rather than a medium-sized one.
7. If you're playing with mission cards, it's generally better to start by going after a full continent. Once you have armies to work with, go after your mission.
8. When trying to complete a mission, take steps to make sure that you don't make it obvious what your goal is. If you don't mask your intentions, your opponents will catch on.
9. If you're playing with increasing card redemption values (the standard rule in most versions), hold on to your cards as long as possible at the beginning of the game.
10. Hold on to wild cards as long as possible at any point in the game.
11. If you're defending a country, and you have an option of how many dice to roll, always roll as many as possible. This increases your chances of a successful defense.
Risk: Star Wars Your Price: $31.95
It is a time of civil war in the galaxy. The Separatist forces, led by the charismatic Count Dooku, have persuaded thousands of planets to rebel against the Republic. The Republic has organized a clone trooper army, led by Jedi generals, to quell the insurrection. Little do the Jedi know that the whole war is being organized by Darth Sidious, a Sith Lord, who is about to step out of the shadows...
Buy Risk: Star Wars
Risk 2003 edition
Your Price: $21.95 (0% savings!)
In this classic game of military strategy, you get to play the commander of vast units, a general of superior strategy and a tactician unlike any mankind has ever seen.
You must lead your armies across vast continents to launch daring attacks against your enemies. But watch your flanks, as your opponents will fight to capture your troops and claim your territories.
Capture all 42 territories and you dominate the globe.
Play the classic Risk game or play a variation called Mission Risk. In this version, you must complete the 4 missions you receive at the beginning of the game to win. Some may be easy, others not so.
Risk... leading the world in military strategy games since 1959.
Buy Risk 2003 edition
Your Price: $37.95
Who will rule the Ancient Earth -- and beyond?
Enter a time of myths and legends. Enter the world of Risk Godstorm, where ancient faiths and fears rule. Battle across the Earth and in the dark regions below. Harness spiritual forces to strike with devastating power. Command five ancient cultures -- Greek, Celtic, Babylonian, Norse, and Egyptian -- in a continent-spanning battle that will determine whose civilization reigns supreme. Rest assured, the gods will not sit idle in this war.
Risk Godstorm also includes everything needed to play the classic game of Risk.
Buy Risk: Godstorm
Risk 2210 A.D.
List Price: $45.00
Your Price: $35.95 (20% savings!)
Who will be the new world leader? The world is at war. As the leader of one of the warring factions, you control the destiny of your people. On and above earth you must marshal your forces, send forth your troops, hire the right commanders and crush your enemies. Build alliances if you dare, but also be wary of those who you call friend. Spend your energy wisely. Enlist the right commanders with the right commands and you can gain the power you need to conquer the world and beyond.
Contains all of the same game components as the larger Risk 2210 A.D. package, including all pieces needed to play the classic game of Risk.
Buy Risk 2210 A.D.
Risk: The Lord of the Rings.
List Price: $35.00
Your Price: $27.95 (20% savings!)
The forces of darkness are gathering in Mordor to lead a charge that could be the end of Middle-earth. In neighboring Gondor, defenses are being prepared as the battle begins. The One Ring is making its way onward toward Mount Doom while the battle heats up. Who will be left standing when the combat ends?
In this expanded edition of Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition you'll find:
Middle-earth gameboard including Gondor, Mordor and Haradwaith
materials from the entire The Lord of the Rings film trilogy
additional territory cards
additional adventure cards
alternate ways to play
Buy Risk: The Lord of the Rings
List Price: $31.99
Your Price: $25.95 (19% savings!)
The classic Game of Global Domination. A favorite for over 40 years! Includes 360 military miniatures.
For over 40 years the game of Risk has been the ultimate in military strategy and global domination! Now this Nostalgia edition brings back the original in all its vintage glory - with real wood armies, the classic map from the 1959 version, a Risk game history and rules with the original gameplay! So pick an army and try to conquer the world in this "historic" game.For over 40 years the game of Risk has been the ultimate in military strategy and global domination! Now this Nostalgia edition brings back the original in all its vintage glory - with real wood armies, the classic map from the 1959 version, a Risk game history and rules with the original gameplay! So pick an army and try to conquer the world in this "historic" game.
THROUGH THE DESERT $29.99
The desert is treacherous, mysterious, and without mercy. For those willing to risk the dangers of the sun-baked, shifting sands, the desert can hold a rich life and untold beauty. In Reiner Knizia's Through the Desert boardgame, players each control a tribe of nomads vying for control of the desert expanses and the lush oases herein. By establishing caravan routes and claiming valuable waterholes, players seek to increase the influence and territory of their tribe.
Contents of Through the Desert:
175 plastic camel playing pieces
30 plastic camel-rider playing pieces
45 water hole counters
5 plastic oasis trees
40 point-counting chips